The original Farmhouse was built in 1849 and owned by Nathaniel Humphrey. He was married to his wife Elizabeth and together they had four children, Charlies, Ella, Mack, and Edward. Their extended family were prominent land owners in the area. Years later, when building the root cellar, a grown up Ella signed her name in basement wall that is still visible today. On July 14th, 1863 their 88 acre, farmland property was invaded by raiders from the south during the Civil War. The Raiders, led by General John Hunt Morgan, camped on Nathaniel’s property and stole two horses from his barn. He would later be reimbursed $155 by the state of Ohio for the theft.
When the previous owners purchased the home in 1979, they had little idea that a Civil War raid took place quite literally in their backyard. When they learned the rich history of their home, they devoted fifteen years to researching and five years to writing about General Morgan’s 1000 mile raid that came through their property. This story spawned the #1 Best Seller and Pulitzer Prize nominated book, The Longest Raid of the Civil War. The Farmhouse has been featured in publications such as The Cincinnati Enquirer, The Dayton Daily News, Country Living Magazine, Housetrends, and Design 2000.
We stepped on the scene in early July 2016 and and purchased the home in early October. After a home tour from the previous homeowner, we knew we had the joyful responsibility to maintain and enhance the historical significance of the Farmhouse.
Since the 1840’s, multiple additions and renovations have been made to the home to incorporate for more space, indoor plumbing, heating, and central air conditioning. The original home was only the space of the front two stories and the kitchen area. Although the home has been updated for modern living, there are still many original aspects and ascetics that have survived such as the thick brick walls, the shutter-fringed windows, a fireplace mantel taken from the barn that stood on the property, the milk house, the fireplace in the original kitchen, and the leaded glass front door and transom. Additional historic architectural details that were retrofitted in the early 80’s include a head-fretted wooden archway and fireplace mantle relocated from the former Glendale mansion estate of William Procter of Procter & Gamble.